Renewing your driving licence

All drivers must renew their licence at the age of 70, and every three years thereafter.

Renewing your licence doesn’t involve re-taking your test, it simply involves completing an application to the DVLA.  To do this you can:

  • Apply online to renew your driving licence using the DVLA’s secure online service; you won’t be able to renew your C1 medium size vehicles or D1 minibus entitlement in this way. To renew these entitlements you can apply by post or use the premium checking service.
  • Apply by post

If you are a photocard licence holder, 90 days before your 70th birthday the DVLA will send you a D46P ‘application for renewal of a driving licence’. You’ll need to:

  • complete the D46P form
  • send it to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AA
  • return your photocard driving licence and counterpart.
  • A message on your D46P form will let you know if your photo is due for renewal and, if so, you’ll need to include a new passport type photo.  You’ll also need to include a new passport type photo and original identity documentation if your name has changed since your last licence was issued.  No fee is required with this application.

If you do not receive the reminder application forms you can use the D1 ‘application for a driving licence’.  This form is available from the DVLA form ordering service and your local Post Office.  You’ll also need to check the photo on your licence to be sure that it isn’t about to expire.  The expiry date of your photo is shown in section 4b on the front of your driving licence.  You won’t be able to renew your photo using the online service.

If you are a paper licence holder, 90 days before your 70th birthday the DVLA will send you a D46P form.  You’ll need to:

  • complete the D46P form
  • enclose original documentation confirming your identity
  • include a passport type colour photograph
  • send your application and documents to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AA or you can use the premium checking service at selected post offices or DVLA local offices
  • you can also use a D1 form if you don’t receive the D46P in the post.

To renew your previously held C1 or D1 entitlement, whether full or restricted, or if you plan to drive a minibus on a voluntary basis, you must enclose a D4 ‘medical examination report’ completed by a doctor in support of your application.

You should expect to receive your licence within three weeks of the DVLA receiving your application.