Follow a few simple pointers to make it as difficult as possible for opportunists to steal your pride and joy:
- Don’t leave any items on display.
- Use an immobiliser.
- Park safely. At night park your car in a garage if you have one or in a well lit, open place if you don’t.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- When using car parks try to choose attended car parks or car parks with added security features such as cameras or security staff.
- Use a steering wheel lock.
- Get an alarm fitted if your car doesn’t already have one.
- Secure your wheels by using locking wheel nuts.
- Make sure there is a visible VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on your car.
- Have the vehicle’s VIN number etched on all glass surfaces.
- Use a stereo that has a removable front panel or a security code.
- Have a tracking device installed.
As well as reducing the chance of your car being stolen, all improvements to the security of your car should help to lower your insurance premium.