The consequences of drink-driving
- Over 15 percent of road deaths involve drivers who are over the limit.
- There is no way of knowing how much you can drink and stay under the legal limit.
- If you drive whilst over the limit you could face up to six months in prison, a fine of up to £5,000, a minimum one year ban from driving and a criminal record.
- If you cause death by careless driving under the influence of alcohol you could face up to 14 years in prison, an unlimited fine, a driving ban, higher insurance premiums and you could lose your car, friends, family and job.
- North Yorkshire Police carry out around 15,000 breath tests every year – if you drink and drive you will be caught.