You should reduce your speed, irrespective of the speed limit, when:
- The road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends.
- You are sharing the road with pedestrians, horse riders or cyclists.
- You are driving in poor weather conditions.
- You are driving at night, as it is more difficult to see other road users.
- You are driving on country roads with less obvious potential hazards.
- There are lots of parked vehicles which may obscure pedestrians stepping out onto the road.
- You are driving in built-up areas where other vehicles can brake suddenly.
- You are near schools, parks or hospitals where there are likely to be children or elderly people.
- You are driving along urban streets where there are lots of pedestrians looking to cross the road.