Anticipate the road ahead
- Constantly search the road ahead for changing conditions
- Become an expert at spotting hazards such as mud on the road, loose chippings, inspection covers, pot holes, worn and shiny tarmac, painted surfaces, diesel spills, animals etc.
- Ride according to the road conditions and within your own abilities
- Pay attention to road markings and signage which will warn you of changes in the road ahead
- Plan ahead when approaching junctions
- Always signal before making a manoeuvre
- When riding in groups, ride to the bike behind. Keep the rider behind you in your mirrors – slow down when you haven’t seen the bike behind for a while. When they are visible, away you go again.