Walking is a great way to get around, but there are dangers to be aware of if you are near roads or anywhere near traffic.
If you are walking with younger children always hold their hands and make sure that they walk furthest from the traffic.
When walking, make sure that you always follow the walking rules:
- Always walk on the pavement or footpath if there is one
- Walk as far away from the kerb as possible
- If you have to walk on the road, because there is no pavement, walk on the right hand side of the road and face the traffic coming towards you
- If you have to walk on the road, walk in single file, one behind the other
- Always look when crossing cycle lanes on the road, cyclists can travel very quickly and you don’t always hear them
- If you are walking with young children, always hold their hand when crossing the road
- Follow the Green Cross Code
- When walking near roads make sure that you’re not doing anything that will distract you, such as listening to music, talking or texting on a mobile phone or playing on computer games.